Friday, July 12, 2013

The one with the guys...

Now, I'm sure based off of the title alone, everyone is going to assume I'm boy crazy or something along those lines. Instead, I want to share some thoughts that have been floating through my head that tonight I just need to get out because I want the world to know how great they are. I told these same guys tonight that I was going home to sleep because I have to work early so that's what I should be doing but I've been tinkering with this in my mind for awhile and want to get it out.

Back in high school, when I first became a Christian, I heard over and over again that we should be praying for our future husbands, especially for someone who loves the Lord and is going to be the spiritual leader in our relationship. I think quite a few of us girls went through the time in our lives where we "gave up dating for a year" after reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye and whatever those other dating books were. Several of us have (or had) lists in the back of our Bibles of the characteristics we wanted in our future husbands. Some of my friends wrote letters to their future husbands faithfully (I've tried and my future husband is lucky if I remember twice a year to write to him. You'd think being a blogger it would come easy but nope I forget about that journal quite often...). As girls, we talked often about what our futures would look like, the types of weddings we wanted, etc. etc.

Well, I've learned that God's plans are far greater than my own and while I'm not currently in any type of relationship, I am surrounded by some pretty amazing Christian men who show me on a regular basis what it means to love the Lord. These guys in my life exemplify Christ in the ways that they live their lives. They encourage me, make me laugh, and invest in my life and my spiritual walk with God by asking me how they can pray for me. When I have a bad day, I know that I can talk to any of these guys and they will find a way to make me laugh, talk me through whatever is going on in my life, and find a way to encourage me. At the end of the day, I know that they are praying for me, which means more to me than any of them know.

With so many of my girlfriends in serious relationships, getting married, and having babies, I'm finding it's getting harder and harder to find someone to spend time with regularly. These amazing guys include me in their circle, even though other than one's girlfriend, I'm the only girl. They go out of their way to make sure they include me in the plans they make. They even crazily asked me if I wanted to go to Cedar Point this weekend...silly boys! I don't do roller coasters and they know that, but they wanted to make sure that I knew I was included. They even grudgingly put up with my weird eating habits, which says a lot for them. They may tease me about it, but in the end, they accept me for who I am, strange habits and all.

I can't find the words to even begin to tell you how incredible these men are. They show me constantly what it means to be treated with respect. They hold doors open for me, they listen when I talk, and they ask for my input when we're discussing just about anything (except roller coasters of course...). These guys show me what I deserve to have in a future husband and they are the reason that I am holding out for the best. I deserve someone who loves the Lord the way that they do, someone who treats me with respect, and accepts me for me. What they probably don't realize is that someday, they're going to make amazing husbands and when I pray for my own future husband, I am also praying for their wives, that they will find someone with these same qualities and who loves the Lord as much as they do.

I may be single and I may complain about it here and there, but at the end of the night, these men remind me of what I'm holding out for. They are the best examples of Christ in my life other than my Pastor, my small group leaders, and our youth leader. I am so lucky and so blessed that God has given them to me, to show me how it is a woman deserves to be treated, and to show me what it's like to love the Lord more than they could anyone else. I can't imagine how different my life would be without them.

No comments: