Monday, November 2, 2009

October

Well, since it is now November 2nd and I don't think I ever did a proper update for October, I'll do bullets because I hate that I haven't been able to blog in so long.

--Grad school is seriously eating my soul. I'm only taking classes part time, which means I take two classes a quarter. However, I may as well be full time because I'm on campus four nights a week anyway doing ridiculous amounts of homework and counseling recordings. The recordings are actually fun and I'm learning a lot since it's hands on but Erin and I have become super giggly lately, which makes it difficult to keep the giggles off the tapes we're making. The best part about the recordings is that we never struggle for material because we're both so stressed out that we just vent about our lives and then we counsel each other. Perfect!

--I went to Youngstown early in October and was able to visit with Denise and Irene which was fun. I stayed at Adrienne's mom's house in her old room, which was super weird since she lives in Cincinnati now. The best part of the weekend other than seeing Denise's super adorable son Alex (pictures to come eventually of my visit!) was going for a run in my favorite childhood park. I hadn't been to Mill Creek in forever and on the Saturday of my visit, my body woke me up early so I took advantage of the cool autumn morning and went for a run. Those three miles did my spirit so much good because it was nice to be able to relive some happier childhood memories spent in that park instead of some of the darker memories that seem to cloud me everytime I go for a visit.

--The following weekend Vince came to Cincinnati from Athens for a visit. We spent the weekend watching movies, laughing, and just catching up. We hadn't seen each other since May and it did my heart a world of good to just be able to spend time with someone who means so much to me. We also went to the Newport Aquarium while he was here and he was so funny to watch! It was fun experiencing one of my favorite Cincinnati attractions with someone who had never been and seeing it through his eyes. Pictures to also come eventually of his visit.

--Two weeks later was my birthday weekend. I celebrated by attending my first ever UC football game (we're still undefeated this season...woo!) and then going to dinner down on the river with my friends who refused to let me pay for anything that night. After dinner we went to Starbucks at Barnes and Noble and I told them that nothing makes a cool October night better than hot chocolate and browsing in a bookstore. I'm pretty sure I also said it was the perfect date! :-P

--My actual birthday was the 19th and we were supposed to have a family dinner on the 20th but the state health board showed up for their annual survey at my mom's work so my family wasn't able to go to dinner with me. I was so disappointed but Tym and Adrienne made up for it and treated me to dinner at the Spaghetti Factory (my favorite restaurant) and then Tym and I went shoe shopping. Well, I did. He just kind of watched. haha Since I've been so swamped with school and work, my family is celebrating tomorrow night. My mom is making her world famous homemade spaghetti sauce and my sister, brother in law, and the kids are all coming over for dinner so it'll be nice to spend time with them.

--This past weekend I went to see the Broadway tour of RENT not once, but twice! Megan is the world's greatest best friend and bought tickets for Carrie and I to see it. Originally, we were all going to pay for our own but Megan decided to surprise us and pay for our tickets. We managed to score these amazing FIFTH ROW seats thanks to Jon from our church. He and his wife are season ticket holders to the Aronoff and had the opportunity to add RENT on to their package and when he found out that he could, he asked us if we wanted tickets and then ordered them for us. Since we got them before they went on sale to the general public, we had amazing seats! I enjoyed the production so much that I decided I just had to see it again and text Tym to see if he'd be interested in going so I in turn bought his ticket for him for Christmas and he, Liz, and I got all dressed up and went to the Aronoff on Saturday night to see it. Tym had never seen it at all and Liz had only seen the movie so it was so fun to share this experience with them! Tym of course had lots of questions since he had never seen the movie but overall we had a great time and I have now declared myself a RENT junkie. :-)

--My workouts are slowly getting back on track. Some weeks I only make it to the gym once, sometimes twice a week. My goal is eventually to work my way back up to three nights a week but we'll see how that works out. I've also decided to start meeting with a personal trainer once or twice a month to refine my workouts because I've hit my plateau. I haven't gained anything, but I haven't lost anything either so I need some help tailoring a workout every so often that will help me to keep moving towards my goal weight.

So there you have it. That's my life for the month of October. Since I know November is going to be just as crazy with the quarter winding down, I'll probably be back in December to update. I'm sure I'll be around to read though. :-)

No comments: