Friday, August 27, 2010

How do you mend a broken heart?

My heart is breaking in two right now and I'm not sure this break will ever heal. Yesterday, my dog spent the whole day getting sick all over our living room and acting like she had to go to the bathroom, but never actually going. She wouldn't touch her food or any treats that I tried to give her. In the middle of the night, she came into my room and climbed into bed with me and laid there groaning like she was in pain.

I can't even fathom the idea of losing her yet. I know she's getting old because we've been in Cincinnati for almost ten years and had her for a year or two before then. My mom has been saying all summer she thought this might be her last summer with us but I keep refusing to hear those words because I'm not ready to face a loss of this magnitude yet. Missy (my dog) has been my strength and comfort through some of my toughest times and darkest periods and I can't imagine losing her. My mom has said this will be our last pet and not only is this going to hurt me, but it's going to devestate Savannah. She dotes on and adores our dog and I can't imagine what this will do to her too.

My heart hurts so much right now. I just got done crying on the phone with my sister. I'm baby-sitting and had to leave the room so I could cry. I was distracted enough at work to tuck it away but it's all I've been able to think about since I clocked out at 5:30. I'm a mess. I don't know how I'm going to survive this.

No comments: