Saturday, August 28, 2010

Second chances

After last night's entry, I ended up crying myself to sleep at my aunt's house, fully expecting the worst about my dog. However, we got a second chance today. This morning, Missy still wasn't using the bathroom, eating, or drinking so my mom called me and asked me what the name and number was of the vets that go to my church. I called Megan and promptly broke down in tears and then called the Pfisters to make an appointment. After stopping at Pet Smart for a leash and collar, I headed home to take Missy to the vet with my mom.

We got in and Dr. Pfister examined Missy and told us that her bladder was extremely full. He wanted to do an xray to see what he could find out and when he came back, he told us that she had bladder stones and that he thought one might be blocking her urethra, which is why she can only dribble here and there and not actually use the bathroom. He said that we had two options. The first being that he could give her a steroid shot and some antibiotics and see if the stone would pass by itself and the second being that he could knock her out and catherize (sp??) her to see if the catheter would pass the stone. My mom opted to do the shot, which I had to leave the room for.

Here we are, about three and a half hours later, and she is finally drinking and using the bathroom. She had been dribbling here and there but she finally went so much that she couldn't hold it and peed on my niece's bed (luckily we have a mattress protector on it from when Savannah was potty training!). Now she's resting because she's been in and out going to the bathroom like crazy. All we have to do now is wait for the stone to pass because Dr. Pfister wants my mom to bring it in so he can examine it to see how we can get the rest of the stones to pass. My mom just gave her the second round of antibiotics (she got the first through the shot at the vet's office) by mixing it in with peanut butter.

I think other than obviously worrying about her condition, what we worried about the most was how she would do at the vet's office. I knew going in that Dr. Pfister was a male so I didn't know how Missy would take to him because she's always been skittish around men but she actually took right to him. I think it helps that he used soft tones to her and let her approach him first. When he came back with the xrays, she went right over and let him pet her again, which surprised us. Since she took to him so well, we've decided that we're going to continue to use the Pfister's for check-ups and stuff because we know she isn't afraid of him.

She even did well in the car, minus the moment I had to slam on my brakes because of a stupid driver in front of me and she fell on the floor. :-P She just laid there and looked out the windows and kept sticking her nose in our faces from the backseat.

I can't tell you all how relieved I am that it was nothing more serious than bladder stones. I was so afraid Dr. Pfister would tell me that her system was shutting down but when the nurse took her temp and said it was normal, I began to breathe a little easier. I'm not ready for goodbye yet so I'm glad we have a second chance with her.

And now, I am off to fulfill yet another childhood dream! Two summers ago Megan and I went to the New Kids on the Block concert when they were in Cincinnati and tonight Kelly and I are headed to see the Backstreet Boys!!! EEEEEKKK!!! I can't even tell you how excited I am! We had been tossing the idea around for awhile and finally decided we're going! I am sooo pumped! I have all of their cds and know all of their songs so I can't wait to make another dream come true!!! Tonight is going to be amazing!!

No comments: