Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's that time of year again

Well, it's officially that time of year again. The time of year I dread being a teacher. It's wintertime. And with winter comes snow. Words can't even describe the dread I feel when I hear the word snow in the forecast. Ever since I spun out and did a 180 and ended up facing oncoming traffic the Christmas I worked retail, I've been terrified to drive in the snow. Going off the road twice on my way to work last year didn't help either.

This year will be a little bit different because Andrea just got hired at my work and tomorrow is her first day. She's much more comfortable driving in snow and she has four wheel drive so she's going to drive us to work on days that it snows, like tomorrow. It's been steadily snowing here since about 3 this afternoon. It stopped for awhile but there's another band moving in around rush hour tomorrow morning which means it's going to be a nightmare.

The roads are already a mess. I ran to the grocery store before it really started coming down and I slid going around corners and then slid through a stop sign in my neighborhood. While I'm still not looking forward to having to be in a car in the snow in the morning, I'm feeling a little bit better that someone else is driving, someone who is used to driving in crazy weather like this.

All of the local schools are already delaying or closing, including the two districts closest to where I work. It'll be interesting to see if my boss decided to delay us or not. Typically we never close or delay, regardless of how bad it is outside. In the two years I've been at the preschool we've closed once and delayed twice I think. I'm hoping tomorrow will be different, but I don't expect it to be.

It does make me grateful that I don't live in northeast Ohio anymore. I never would have made it as an adult living in Youngstown with the way it always snows there during the winter. We obviously get snow here in Cincinnati because we live in Ohio but it's nothing like the constant snow that Youngstown and Cleveland and the rest of northeast Ohio get. Down here we get a couple of inches and you'd think the world was ending. I'm guilty of that too but I've already explained why I'm so terrified to drive in the snow. I would be perfectly content to move somewhere that it doesn't snow! Or to move to Denver where it snows, but quickly melts because of the higher elevation. I just can't handle driving in it. The thought of driving in snow literally sends me into a panic. I am going to be so grateful and I'm going to owe Andrea for driving to work all winter!

Alright, I'm off t oget to bed because I have to be up 45 minutes earlier than normal so we can leave earlier than normal to make it on time. Still crossing fingers for a delay or a closing!!

No comments: