Thursday, May 12, 2011

I'm a slacker

I'm such a slacker. I promised an update over a week ago and haven't gotten around to it. Granted, the last week has been insanely busy and I have even more to add to my "note to self" entry I wrote last week. The end of the quarter is just weeks away which means I'm going to be slacking again anyway.

Random side note: I am obsessed with Easton Corbin's music and can't listen to him without thinking about Denver. Five weeks from tomorrow I'll be starting my cross country drive...I can't wait! End side note.

I gave you all the update on the half marathon already so I'll start with the weight loss and changes I want to make. I've been so frustrated with my weight and I've hit a plateau so I decided it was time for a change. My body has gotten so acclimated to the running cardio I've been doing that Denise and I decided it was time to mix things up. Plus, my eating habits got all out of wack the couple of weeks leading up to the marathon because I noticed my emotional eating side taking over as I stressed about the dating situation and last week I'd had enough. It was time to reign everything back in and that's just what I did.

I've been portioning out my food so I'm not overeating and I've stopped reaching for food everytime I get worried or bored. Instead, I've been trying to make it a habit of grabbing my water bottle instead and let me tell you, I am SICK of water! I obviously still drink it, but it's getting a bit excessive and over the weekend I actually refused to drink it at all because I just couldn't handle the "taste" of it anymore. :-P

I took all last week off from the gym to recover from the Pig, which was good because my whole body hurt for the whole week. My plan was to get back on Monday and then I woke up with a stomach bug so instead I spent all of Monday sleeping. I finally made it back to the gym last night and let me tell you, it felt incredible! I did a two mile walk/jog (cutting three minutes off of my normal two mile time!), did 15 minutes of spinning, and then did some weights before stretching out and calling it a night. I was still at the gym for my normal hour and a half, but because we mixed it up, I actually enjoyed my workout again. I told Denise this is going to have to become routine. We need to mix it up. I love to run (obviously since I'm training for another half!) but I get bored being on the treadmill all the time so I enjoyed being able to do something else last night.

Now, the dating situation. I officially called it quits with the guy I had been out on a couple of dates with. Things started to just feel weird and I just started to get this vibe that he was after one thing and one thing only and he was just making me uncomfortable. I spent a lot of time in prayer about it and went for ice cream with one of my mentors who also told me she thought I needed to walk away so that's exactly what I did. In fact, when I did break it off, he was just like "Better luck next time!" and I'm thinking, "WHAT?!" When I tell people he made that comment everyone tells me they think I'm better off for walking away. Who says that to someone they've been going out on dates with?!?

So now it's back to the drawing board which is totally fine for me. I have walked away from the online dating though. I'm tired of looking so whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. God's just going to have to drop mr. right in my lap because I'm tired of being the one having to pursue love. Plus, I'm going to be so busy in the next year that I don't need to actively seek out a distraction. If it happens, fabulous. If not, that's okay too. I don't know what God has in store for me in the relationship factor of my life but I'm trusting that He's not going to lead me astray. He has a beautiful plan for my life and that's all that matters.

I had plans to have a "me" day on Saturday, which quickly turned into a family day. I did sleep until about noonish and woke up with awful cramps and not feeling good. I took a hot shower and some ibuprofen which helped and then went grocery shopping with my mom, followed by hanging out at my sister's so we could get things together for Mother's Day. It wasn't the "me" day I had planned, but I did love every minute of being able to spend time with my family and not having the pressure of having to be somewhere like I do for the next two Saturdays.

I had a follow up appointment at the doctor's two weeks ago today. The awful rash I had is something called pitryiasis (not sure if I spelled it right or not) and it was caused by my body having a bacterial and a viral infection at once. It started with the strep throat I had back in March, followed by the allergic reaction to the amoxicillin and then my body just kept developing the infections from there. It's not contagious but it does take six weeks minimum to clear up. Well, I've had it about that long and some of it has gone away but I still look awful. The doctor told me I needed to reduce my stress and it would help clear it up, but I'm a grad student and I work full time so that's not happening anytime soon. :-P

I did find out at that appointment that my white blood count was elevated, so she told me my body was either fighting off an infection at that time or getting ready to fight off an infection. She asked me if I had any symptoms and I said no, just the rash so she told me not to be surprised if in the following couple of weeks I did develop a sore throat or a runny nose and sure enough, here I am two weeks later with congestion and a runny nose. I'm using a netti pot, which is the most disgusting thing EVER but it helps so that's all that matters.

I decided after I finished my half at the Pig that I couldn't believe a year of training had come down to one day and that it had come and gone so quickly so I decided that I wanted to run another one! I am officially in training for the Air Force Half Marathon, which is held every September at the Air Force base in Dayton. Two of my friends are training with me and while part of me of course if already nervous and worrying if I can do this again, I'm excited to take on this challenge! Bring it on Air Force!

And finally, school. There are four weeks left in the quarter (three weeks of classes and a week of finals) and then I'm done for a week before going into summer term. Originally, I was only taking one class the second half of summer but then I found out that my financial aid wouldn't cover anything unless I was enrolled for at least five credit hours so I was stressing last week at how I was going to arrange this because the only other class I could take would interfere with my trip to Denver so instead of taking it, I'm not enrolled for two hours of an independent study. I get to choose my own topic so I'm going to spend the summer researching sensory integration disorder, something one of my friend's kids has been diagnosed with and then write up a research paper on it. As nerdy as it sounds, I'm actually really excited at the idea of spending the summer doing this. Of course, it's going to be busy with the independent study, a class the second half of summer, studying for the boards, working, and training for a half marathon but it wouldn't be my life if I wasn't busy all the time!

Alright, time to head to class. There's my massive update for now. Hopefully I won't slack and take as long to post next time. :-P

No comments: