Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Life in Colorado

I am loving my trip to Denver so far. The drive out was long but surprisingly wasn't too bad. I got on the road around 3:30 on Friday and checked into my hotel shortly after 11 central time in Columbia, Missouri. I was so impressed by the quality (I stayed in a Motel 6 which I've heard mixed reviews on) that I went ahead and booked a room for my return trip home. I couldn't beat the price of $45 (before taxes) for just one night.

On Saturday I got on the road around 8:30 or so central time to drive the last ten and a half hours to Denver. I did pretty well time wise until I hit an intense storm just 15 miles from the Colorado border and about got pushed into the side of a semi so I got off the highway and sat for about 30 minutes waiting for it to pass. I finally got back on the road and got in around 8:30 or so mountain time.

As soon as I got in the boys whisked me off to dinner at Unos, which is not my favorite but that's okay. I had a burger and fries and I knew I was starting to get tired after my long day of driving when I just kept randomly cracking myself up at stupid stuff that no one else understood. Then, as I was trying to stack my silverware on my plate, my knife hit my cup and my entire glass of pepsi ended up all over the table and all over Mike's lap. I felt awful! Unfortunately, the night didn't end there because Mike and I ended up having to drive downtown to pick up a drunken Jack who was in no condition to drive home.

I told Mike to wake me for church on Sunday but when he did, I told him to let me sleep. I knew I was going to crash from my drive and I definitely did. I didn't crawl out of bed until almost 11 Sunday morning and the whole day I was just dragging. I took the boys to brunch for a belated birthday celebration and then we just hung around the house before having spaghetti for dinner, made with my mom's homemade sauce that I had brought in a cooler with me during my cross country trip.

I've been sleeping about ten hours every night since I got here. I truly did need this vacation to just relax and not go go go all the time. I spent some time downtown on Monday after having lunch with Mike and then spent the day in Boulder with Angie yesterday but overall, it's been very relaxing. I spent today by the pool because the doctor told me to get some sun to help dry up my psoriasis. I put sunscreen everywhere but my back (because I couldn't reach it and no one was home to help) and my legs (because my legs never burn). Well, I definitely got some sun. My poor white legs that never burn at home in Ohio definitely got some color after two hours in the Colorado sun without sunscreen. My back also got some sun because I can feel the heat of it through my shirt but I haven't looked yet since showering to see how bad it is. My legs tingled in the shower but they don't hurt right now. I have to go pick up stuff to cook dinner so I may pick up some aloe just incase for later tonight when I'm sure they will finally hurt.

I needed this vacation badly. I've been on the go for what feels like months now and I have craziness of an independent study, my summer class, work, and soon my internship facing me when I get home so I'm going to love these two weeks of just relaxing, sleeping as late as I want, and doing whatever I want, when I want to while I'm here. I don't even want to think about going home next weekend....

I have a lot on my mind as far as Colorado versus Ohio goes (I'm sure everyone saw that coming when I made the decision to come out for two weeks...) but I'm not ready to put it into words yet. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time for that later.

For now, I'm off in search of my blanket since Mikey keeps the a/c set at 68 (brrr!) and then I'm going to do some studying for my comps exam until he gets home from work. Oh vacation....

No comments: