Sunday, February 19, 2012

Itching to get away

First off, I am FULLY FUNDED for Haiti this summer!!! Woo! God is soooo good! I am actually beyond funded, which is incredible. It has been so encouraging to watch this all happen and come together. Now I just need to finish up my vacccinations and get my passport and I'll be good to go!

With that being said, Denver this summer is NOT happening for reasons I would rather not discuss. Since that isn't happening, I'm looking at getting away either for a long weekend over Memorial Day weekend or sometime this summer. My friend Andrea and I were discussing Disney but I'm thinking going elsewhere. I don't know yet. I have a plane ticket to use since I'm not using it for spring break (we're driving to Nashville for a couple days instead of going on our cruise) so I want to use it to escape for a few days.

This is what I'm thinking. Feel free to chime in with thoughts/suggestions/comments, whatever.

1. Charlotte/Raleigh
I have friends both just outside of Charlotte and just outside of Raleigh. I could rent a car for a weekend and see both of them. (And yes of course this was inspired by my lovely blooper Megan!) A couple of my guy friends love roller coasters and Carowinds is located in Charlotte so they're thinking of going with me too.

2. Washington D.C.
One of my really good guy friends is working on his Mater's at the University of Maryland, College Park which is located just outside of D.C. I was thinking of visiting him and his girlfriend but doing some touristy stuff on my own to have some me time.

3. New York City
I am dying to visit New York City! I would love to see a play on Broadway, visit Times Square and Central Park and all the other millions of places I've only ever read about it. If I go to NYC, I wouldn't even have to rent a car. Actually, I wouldn't have to in D.C. either!

4. Seattle
I have always wanted to go to Seattle. There's just something about it that draws me in. I've read about it and obviously one of my favorite movies is Sleepless in Seattle and it's just somewhere I've always wanted to visit.

5. Chicago
People rave about Chicago and I've always wanted to go. I don't know a lot about it but it would be cool to visit and see why everyone loves it so much. Plus, if either of the MLB teams are home I could see a baseball game or two!

Obviously most of the cost of my plane ticket will be taken care of but then I have to factor in hotels/transportation. Anyone have any suggestions for long weekend getaways? I don't know how much time I can afford to take off. I was thinking maybe four or five days at the most. I'm looking for suggestions of places, costs, hotels, public transportation, that kind of thing.

So friends...give me your thoughts! I officially have wanderlust and want to run away, even if just for a couple of days. :-)

1 comment:

The KS Perrys said...

I want to go to NYC too!

DC is wonderful, my in-laws aren't too far from there (they are in Northern VA) and we took the train into the city. So much to see and do and a lot of the museums are FREE! It's also gorgeous in the summer.