Sunday, January 23, 2011

Half marathon training week 1

So I've successfully made it through the first "official" week of my half marathon training. I've obviously been running for about a year now but this begins the countdown to the half on May 1st. I'm still a very slow runner and can only run about a half mile straight before having to walk again but even if I walk/jog, I can maintain a 16 minute mile so I'm right on track to finish before they close the course at the half.

I'm going to start doing weekly entries to recap my training (much like my friend Laura did) so I have something to look back on and something to grow from. Plus, it'll help when (if) I'm training for the full marathon next year.

Monday 1/17/11
It was my first time back at the gym since Christmas, or at least I think it was. The goal for Monday night was three miles, which I made but it was a rough three miles. I had worn regular cotton socks instead of running socks because I felt that it was only three miles and I'd be fine. By the end of the first mile, I had a hot spot on my pinkie toe and had to force myself through the final two miles. I ended up with a small blister by the end of the night but I was proud of myself for making it the full three miles.

Wednesday 1/19/11
I wasn't going to run on Wednesday night because Jon was out of town so Denise was home with the kids. We had arranged to make Wednesday night the night we were going to chat so I could interview her for a paper I'm writing for my Career Development class. Well, I ended up having a rough day at work, followed by getting into a fight with my mom over my car and my emotional eating side wanted to take over and drown my sorrows in food. Instead, I went to the gym and sprinted through two miles which completely took everything out of me, including all of my frustrations and anger. I ended up apologizing to my mom and felt so much better after I had run everything out. It was definitely better than drowning my sorrows in food.

Sunday 1/23/11
Today's goal was seven miles and it was my first long run since before Christmas. Well, I made it five miles, which is great and better than nothing but man, the mental road blocks today were tough. Two miles in I was ready to quit and had I not had Denise beside me, I probably would have given up and gone home. Instead, I trudged through because she wanted me to at least hit 4.5. Well, I hit four and told Denise that if I was going to go 4.5, I might as well push through that last half mile and hit five solid miles and that's exactly what I did. It wasn't without pain and agony (most of it mentally) but I made it. I sprinted the last tenth of a mile and got an adrenaline rush for knowing I had pushed myself through a long run when I didn't think I could do it.

Denise kept reminding me today that we're both bouncing back from a lot of time off and that I can't just go and expect to run seven miles like it's nothing. I need to build myself back up slowly. She kept telling me how great I had done going through five miles and pushing myself and proving that I could do it, even when I thought I couldn't.

I learned today though, how important it is to make sure you get plenty of rest the night before a long run. I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. working on homework and getting caught up from being sick and then still got up early to go to church this morning. I came home and napped for an hour on the couch before my run but I think that just made it worse because then I just wanted to keep sleeping instead of going for a run. From now on, I know I need to get plenty of sleep the night before a long run so I physically have the energy to actually make it through the run.

I knew coming into this training that it wasn't going to be easy but I'm continually amazed by how much running is a mental activity. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to my runs and I need to stop beating myself up every time I have a difficult run because then it's hard to continue to motivate myself to keep running.

Tonight at church I was talking with one of the other adult sponsors about my run today and later on in the evening, one of my youth stopped me as I was leaving and wished me luck in my training. He told me that he knows I had a rough run today but that he believes in me and knows that I'll meet my goal and finish the race in May.

I tell you, it is moments like tonight that remind me why I love being a youth sponsor and why I love my kids. Not only do I get to pour into them and build them up, but they pour into me and encourage me during some of my darkest moments. I live for nights like tonight and love that this is where my life has taken me.

Tomorrow is a short run/recovery night. I only have to hit three miles tomorrow, most of which I'll probably walk and then I think I'm going to lift some weights. Even after today's difficult run, I can't wait to get back out there and do it all over again.

No comments: