Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things I've learned being a graduate student

I just got done soaking in a bubble bath while reading for class and was thinking about all the things I've learned since being a graduate student so I thought I'd share them here so you can all experience what my life has been like for the last year and a half.

--You learn to survive on five hours of sleep a night. I haven't slept for more than five hours a night unless I've been sick. Between work, late night study sessions, papers, and training for the half marathon, I'm lucky if I sleep at all. Surprisingly my body has learned to adapt pretty well and I'm learning to function on five hours of sleep again, something I haven't done since college.

--You run on pure caffeine and adrenaline rushes. I can't make it through one full day without at least 16 ounces of caffeine a day, which is so bad for my body. Since I stay up so late doing homework and studying, I typically either start my day with caffeine or go out on my lunch break at work for caffeine. I can't make it through a day without caffeine or else I find myself in a fog and unable to function. I've also learned to run on adrenaline while finishing assignments and running. It's ridiculous how my body functions anymore.

--The bath tub is a great place to do homework. I get most of my reading for class done while soaking in a bubble bath because there are no distractions in there. No cell phone, no tv, no one talking to me, nothing. It's just me, my textbook, and a highlighter. Not only do I get reading done, but I also feel relaxed when I get out. It's the perfect study spot!

--Exercise and running is good for my soul and my stress levels. I never thought I'd ever write that sentence, but it's so true. My time at the gym three days a week is so good for me. I can run out all of my frustrations on the treadmill, punch out my stress on the punching bags, and just work out all of the things I have on my mind. I leave the gym those three nights feeling like a whole new person. It amazes me how good exercise can be for the soul.

--Your social life is pretty much non-existent. I haven't seen my best friend in weeks because all I do is work, go to school, and run. I went out last night for the first time in awhile because my weekends are consumed with paper writing, studying, and running. Luckily my family and friends are understanding and cheer me on, even when I don't have the time to spend with them. I hate that I'm always so busy because I chose to go to grad school at home so I could be near the people I care about and at this rate, I may as well have gone away for as often as I get to spend time with them!

--The time off between quarters is heaven sent. I live for my breaks in between quarters because it means I can sleep and live a normal life, even if for a few short weeks. The first two days of any break I'm typically dead to the world because I usually crash hard and sleep as much as possible to make up for the time I didn't sleep during the quarter. Those breaks are good for me physically, mentally, and spiritually and I go into each new quarter feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world. My only break coming up is spring break because this summer I have to take an online class and study for both the Colorado state boards and the comps at UC so I can graduate. I've decided that this goes along with my non-existent social life because all I'll be doing from now until August is studying and then in August I'll start my internship, along with taking classes so I'll officially pretty much be off the grid until graduation in June of 2012.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it's dim but I can finally see it. For now, it's time to get back to the books. I've got a six page paper due on three articles on prevention programs in counseling that I haven't even started researching yet. Hello long night, goodbye sleep...

No comments: