Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blind date

Since I'm home, I figure it's time to give you all details since I left you all hanging in suspense on Friday. Denise, read no further until I call you tonight!

Last week, I wrote an entry about how Megan wanted to set me up on a blind date and that I had agreed to let her give this guy she knows my phone number. Well, nothing came of that because he never called me or anything.

On Thursday night, I drove up to Dayton to have dinner and hang out with Andrea who was in town for a funeral. We had such a great time hanging out and laughing with her family and it was such a good reminder for us that no matter how far apart we are, we'll always be best friends. I can't imagine what life would be like without her.

On Friday morning, she was working out of Cincinnati International Airport (she actually works in Minneapolis) so we were chatting on the phone on our drives to work. She asked me about my facebook status about the blind date so I shared with her about Megan wanting to set me up. She then proceeded to tell me about this guy she works with when she works at CVG (the airport) and that she thought we would like each other. I fought her for awhile, telling her I had gotten my hopes up earlier in the week and that I wasn't going through that. She kept pushing so I finally agreed to it because I honestly didn't think it would go anywhere.

I'm not normally the type of person to wait by my phone but I checked it during a quick break I had taken at work and I had three text messages from her. One was a picture of Jeremy (that's his name) and two others were text messages saying that he thought I was cute and wanted to know when my break was because he wanted to drive in and take me to lunch. At first I was hesitant until she told me that she would be there to act as a buffer incase Jeremy and I didn't hit it off.

Well, imagine my surprise when we actually DID hit it off. We found out that we both have a slightly crazy obsession with Disney and we both love to travel. We chatted about Denver and it turns out he knows a lot of the places I've been to. We got so wrapped up in our conversation at one point that poor Andrea was just sitting in a corner texting her boyfriend on her cell phone. I apologized for that later but she told me it was what she had wanted to happen. haha

At the end of lunch (which he paid for!) he held the door open for us and then he shook my hand which I thought was cute. haha We exchanged numbers and I told him that we should do this again sometime without Andrea, which made both of us laugh. I went back to work all smiles and then had to explain myself to all of my coworkers and my boss, all of whom knew about my date because originally they weren't going to give me a lunch break and were going to send me home at 3 since I was supposed to leave at 4 anyway. I put my foot down though and fought Stacey until she agreed to find someone to cover me so I could still go on my date. Of course the entire staff found out, which doesn't surprise me since I work with 25 women! Gossip spreads quickly!

When I got off of work, I text Jeremy to tell him thank you for lunch and that I had a really good time. We chatted for a bit before I had to leave for camp and I haven't talked to him since because he's in Tennessee for the weekend. I haven't been able to get my mind off of him and did text him once last night to tell him I hoped he was having fun but left it at that. The ball is in his court now so if he really did like me, then it's his move.

Now, I owe you all an explanation. I was leery of going out with Jeremy because Andrea had told me he was 36, had been married, and has kids. Four of them to be exact. The age wasn't a factor for me, nor was the fact that he had been married. I can deal with those. But the fact that he has kids is a little scary for me. However, I decided to give it a try anyway and really surprised myself when I genuinely liked him. I hadn't expected to hit it off with him and counted this as one of those things I was doing to get Andrea off of my back so I was shocked when we clicked imediately.

I still have reservations about him having kids but at this stage in my life, the people in my life aren't surprised by the fact that I would even consider it. I've always been more mature for my age so dating someone older than me isn't an issue. Things just always get scary when kids are involved and when exes are involved. Considering I've never been in a relationship, this would be new territory for me.

I'm not sure what's going to happen honestly. Like I said, the ball is in his court. In the last 48 hours however, I've found myself being "that" girl, the one who is anxiously sitting by the phone waiting to see if he's going to call or not. It's driving me crazy that he hasn't, even though I know he's in Tennessee with his kids and that today they're driving home. He has full custody so I know things are going to be completely different for him than for me so I need to be patient.

The fact that he hasnn't called yet is giving me doubts though and making my brain go crazy. I text Andrea this morning and told her that I was afraid he hadn't called yet because he really didn't think I was cute and didn't like me, etc. Being the great best friend she is, she immediately sent me back a reply saying "Has he given you a reason to doubt? No! Remember he's with his kids, he could be driving home. You have to be patient," which I know is true. His timing is going to be different than mine, especially because he does have the kids. It's just driving me crazy not knowing if he actually liked me or not.

So there you have it. I had a really great time on Friday and I actually really liked him. I prayed about it a lot this weekend during fall retreat with the kids and I have peace about seeing where this goes, if it goes anywhere. I never thought I would consider this but I'm interested to see if it does go anywhere. I'm just a bundle of nerves waiting to see if anything is going to come of it. I know you risk getting hurt anytime you open yourself to something new and this is no different. It still doesn't make it easy. I hate waiting and I'm not the most patient person in the world but I'm trying.

I still have butterflies and smile whenever I think of Friday so we'll see what happens!

No comments: