Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Twas the night before the turkey trot...

Twas the night before the turkey trot, not a creature was stirring, not even me. Okay, not quite the same tune, but you get my drift. I've been home from work since 5:15 and all I've done is lay on the couch in my pajamas. This has become my newest pre-race tradition. I don't make plans for the night before and I just relax to get myself pumped for the race.

Tomorrow is my first ever 10k, or 6.2 miles for those not familiar with the running lingo. My ipod is currently charging and has been updated with new music to keep me pumped and ready to run. The weather isn't supposed to be the greatest but at least it's not supposed to be as cold as it was today. The current forecast for 9 a.m. is scattered showers and temps in the mid 50s. I can handle the temps but running in the rain will be new territory for me. At least it'll toughen me up (as my uncle so lovingly said earlier on facebook!) to get me ready for the Pig because it seems like it rains every year on the day of the Pig.

As I stared at my running clothes in the bathroom earlier, it amazes me how much I've changed and grown in the last year. This time last year I was a year into my gym contract but wasn't running at all. A year later, I'm up to six miles and halfway through my training for the half marathon. I never thought I'd be a person who loves to run but it's become my stress relief, the one thing that keeps me sane through the crazy parts of my life. More of my money has gone towards new running clothes in the last few months than anything else I've bought and I don't regret a single cent of it.

I think one of the biggest lessons I've learned in my training is to NOT set a time goal for myself. I know my pace and I know what I'm comfortable at so setting a time goal isn't what matters. What matters is that I cross that finish line and prove to myself that I was able to do something I never thought I could do.

I never thought I'd be at this place, training for and actually running different races but this is my life now and I love it. I love this confident person I've become since I started running. I love being able to walk into a room with my head held high knowing I'm comfortable in my own skin and proud of how far I've come.

Here's to an amazing race tomorrow! 6.2 miles here I come!!

No comments: