Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thoughts from "that" girl

Since Friday, I have found myself being "that" girl. The one sitting by the phone, whose heart leaps into her throat each time it rings or beeps with a text message, hoping it's the guy she went out with over the weekend. Each time, my heart comes crashing back down with disappointment.

I don't know how to do this. It's been so long since I've gone out on a real date that I don't know how it works anymore. I know that this situation especially is delicate because there are kids involved. I never thought I'd let myself even consider dating a man who has kids and now I find myself genuinely interested in getting to know this guy and I don't know how to work this situation.

I've text him here and there but so far nothing seems to pan out from his end. Andrea keeps telling me I need to take it slow, that he's been hurt in the past and that if he wasn't interested, he wouldn't have asked for my phone number and suggested we get together again. But still, my stupid girl heart keeps thinking that because he hasn't called, he's truly not interested. On Sunday evening, I suggested we get coffee later in the week or over the weekend and his response was "I'll try. I'll text you again later in the week" and my girl brain took that to mean he truly wasn't interested and didn't want to see me again.

I hate that I've gotten my hopes up, that I've met someone I actually want to get to know, and now I find myself being the girl I always hated-the one sitting by the phone waiting for a guy who may or may not call her. I hate that I've done this to myself and the fact that everyone is being vocal on their opinions of this particular person. All I want is to be happy and instead I'm making my own self miserable by waiting on something that may or may not happen and letting everyone give me their two cents, when really it doesn't matter what anyone but myself thinks.

How long do I wait before I call him and ask him to get together? I don't want to be pushy but I genuinely do want to get to know him. So how long do I wait for him before I give in and call him?

AHHHHHH!!!! WHY HAVE I BECOME THAT GIRL THAT I HATE?!?!?

1 comment:

The KS Perrys said...

If you already suggested getting together, he makes the next move. Don't ask him again, let him contact you to firm up plans.

You can be 'that' girl in your head...but you don't want him to know you're 'that' girl. :-p