Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thoughts on the future

Ever since Vince left on Tuesday, I've been processing several conversations we had about the future. There's something about our friendship that makes it easy for me to admit things I don't ever want to admit to myself or anyone else. But then, it's also easy to let your guard down at 4 in the morning when you've stayed up all night talking.

Vince got in to town on Sunday evening and after spending some time with my family at my sister's and then with some friends at Bdubs, we came home for a movie night. When the movie was over, we had full intentions of going to bed but instead that turned into five hours of talking later before we finally fell asleep. By the time we went to bed, I had been up for 24 hours, though I had taken a two hour nap after my race.

During our marathon conversation, we touched on the future a bit. However, it wasn't until the following day when we were walking through the historic district of Covington admiring old houses and apartments that we really got to the heart of the conversation. Vince jokingly made a comment that if he moved to Cincinnati at the same time I was moving to Denver that he'd be really pissed at me and not talk to me again. I started laughing but then we got serious and I told him I wasn't even sure if I was moving to Denver, that it all depended on jobs and finances and the many other things you need to consider before picking up your life and moving 18 hours across the country.

As we were walking through Covington, we started talking about moving in together and being roommates, which would be crazy ridiculous and fun! We both want to live in the city or on the water and he's planning to move to Cincinnati for some independence anyway before ultimately wanting to move to Seattle so why not move in together and save money by being roommates instead of living by ourselves? We both need to finish school first and then I believe he wants to stay at OU for grad school anyway so it'll be a couple of years at least before this happens and you never know how things will change by then.

I know it seems like one weekend completely changed my mind around but honestly, it's been weighing on me a lot lately and Vince was the first one to call me out on whether I wanted to really move to Denver or not. I do because a big part of my heart is there and I feel like I'm torn between Cincinnati and Denver but at the same time my life is here. My family is here, my friends are here, my life is here. Essentially, I'd be starting all over again in Denver and at 27, I don't know if I'd be ready for that.

I don't know. There's so much to consider. It's all going to come down to the job market and who is going to offer me a job. I'll be honest though. Ever since the other night, I've been looking at apartments in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. There was one that Vince and I had walked by and I made a comment about how creepy the building looked but when I looked it up online, it was gorgeous! Wood floors, vaulted ceilings, a lot of light...and right on the river! Plus, the rent was fantastic for a river view for two bedrooms.

I'm trying to not jump ahead of myself because I honestly do not know what my future has in store for me. I'm still going to take the boards in Denver in June but I'm also going to get licensed in Kentucky as well. I need to have back up plans and options available so I can market myself everywhere for a position.

I have so much else on my brain but I feel like this is scatterbrained enough and all over the place so I'll tell you the fun part of our visit and then process some more when I can focus on the serious side of my brain.

Obviously Sunday night we stayed up all night talking. During our marathon conversation we talked about anything and everything and Vince even told me ghost stories. At one point I had to get out of bed to go to the bathroom so I made him cover his eyes so I could turn on the light because I was afraid something would jump out from under the bed and grab me. :-P

We got up on Monday and spent the entire day downtown. We went to the top of Carew Tower, which used to be the tallest building in Cincinnati before the new skyscraper was built this past year. I've lived here for 10 years and that was the first time I'd ever been up there. The views were incredible! We took a bunch of pictures and then headed back down to go for a walk to the river where I proceeded to get us lost. Well, we weren't lost but we didn't end up in the spot I thought we would. So instead we walked along the riverfront under the bridge admiring the murals that had been painted and then walked through the historic district of Covington admiring the old buildings before heading back across the river to Cincinnati.

We drove down to Sawyer Point and sat in our favorite spot on the river, which is still flooded from all the rain we got in the last few weeks. I could have sat there all night but we had dinner plans with my co-workers so we headed back out towards my work to hang out with them. After dinner we went down to Newport with the intentions of finding Vince a Cincinnati Reds hat and then seeing a movie but that turned into me getting a smoothie and hanging out overlooking the city instead because the sports store was closed and we were too tired for a movie.

Of course, once we got home we got a second wind and we ended up watching a scary movie with my mom that had a really ridiculous ending. Someone should take away my rights of being allowed to choose our movies off the Netflix queue because I always choose stupid ones. I think it's why I stick to my favorite tv shows on demand on Netflix because you can't go wrong with those. After the movie we both passed out since we had worn ourselves out by spending the whole day walking all over downtown and Covington and hanging out in the sun.

When we woke up on Tuesday, my mom told us we sounded like a married couple from the way we were "arguing" with each other. Apparently I punched Vince in his sleep on Monday night. Whoops! I have no idea what I was dreaming about (it had something to do with the movie we had watched I think) and he thought I was awake when I did it. Nope, not so much. I definitely don't remember doing it. He was giving me crap for that and I was giving him crap for the fact that I had to sleep on the edge of my bed because he kept rolling over and almost pushing me out of bed all night. :-P It was hilarious listening to us!

We had breakfast with my parents while I got the tires rotated on my car. After breakfast, I found out from the tire people that both my brakes and roters need replaced and they quoted me close to $700 for both the front and the back. I had to run to my mechanic anyway and they quoted me about the same so I think I'm just going to have my mechanic take care of it. It needed done before Denver anyway so I guess this is a blessing in disguise because at least I won't have to worry about them going out on me before I drive to Denver in June. But still...$700!

After breakfast we ran all over creation (okay to two malls but it felt like all over!) to find Vince the Cincinnati Reds hat he wanted. See, I slowly am bringing him to the dark side since he's from Cleveland! Now if only I could make him see that the Yankees are better than the Red Sox. Crazy Boston fan. *shakes head* This summer we're going to have a photo shoot of us duking it out in our Yankees-Red Sox apparel and then together in our Reds apparel. It's on our Cincinnati bucket list of things to do together so I'm looking forward to the summer and the crazy adventures I'm sure are bound to happen when we're together.

After our day in the sun on Monday I ended up sun burnt and believe it or not, I broke out with sun poisioning today! My neck started itching and I thought I had a rash so I made my mom look at it considering she's a nurse and she told me it looks like sun poisoning since it's in the same place I'm sunburnt at. I put cream on it which helps but still, who gets sun poisoning in March?!? Apparently I do!

Okay, enough of my scatterbrained-ness. I'm going to go watch an episode of The Secret Life of the American Teenager (my newest addiction) on Netflix before bed. Tomorrow's Friday!!

No comments: