Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Exciting changes!

Now that it is a week later, I'm finally getting around to sharing all of the details of my grad school acceptance with you all. This week has just been hectic and the weekend will be just as busy so I'm taking my chance to update now, even if I should be sleeping.

So my acceptance letter arrived last Thursday. As soon as I pulled it out of the mailbox, I knew I had gotten in just by the thickness of the envelope! I got back in the car, tore the envelope open, and proceeded to start shrieking as soon as I read the line "We are pleased to offer you..." I then threw the letter down, called Tym, shared the news with him, and then called my parents who were out. As soon as I heard my mom's voice I started crying and shrieking that I got in!

I have never been more proud of my accomplishments as I was at that particular moment. I never thought I would get in and I did! I got into one of the toughest programs at UC! A week later and it still hasn't sunk in yet!

Then, on Friday night when I got home from celebrating with my friends down at the river, I checked my e-mail and had received an e-mail from the financial aid office at UC. Imagine my surprise when I opened said e-mail and saw that they were offering me $20,000 in financial aid! I kept going, "Am I really seeing that many zeroes?!?" Even though the aid is in the form of loans, I was shocked to have been offered that much! Since I'm only going back part time, I won't be accepting all $20,000 because I don't want to have to pay that much back (especially with so many loans from undergrad) but I'm still excited that next year is going to be pretty much covered!

I have an appointment set up to meet with my academic adviser on Tuesday at 5:15 on campus. Before that, I arranged to leave early so I can meet with someone in the financial aid office to work the logistics of the cost for next year out, along with how to distribute some of that aid to cover this summer since I'm required to begin classes during summer quarter.

On top of all that exciting news, my mom and I have been discussing the fact that my car is not going to make it much longer. I bought my car in the winter of 2006 and have put almost 50,000 miles on it since then. How I've managed to do that I have no clue but it means my car is just about on it's last legs, as it should be since it's a 92. With that being said, we realize that between commuting to and from work everyday and now adding school into the mix, my car is not going to be able to handle it. My parents have come to an agreement that it's time for a new car and since so many dealerships are going out of business around here, they think now is the perfect time to go look for a new car.

Since I don't have a lot of credit built up, they're willing to co-sign for it as long as I make the payments on it, which I will. I'm thrilled and grateful that they're willing to do this for me! I was honestly worried about how much longer my car was going to last and if I'd be able to afford a new car myself.

What I've been reminded of through all of this this past week is how good and faithful God is. He didn't have to bless me with all of this but He did. Everything is falling into place and I'm loving every moment of watching His plan unfold before me. I couldn't be more grateful at this moment than I am for the opportunity to go back to school and to have amazing parents who are supporting me in all of the decisions I'm making. I truly am a blessed and lucky woman. I can't wait to see what the coming weeks have in store for me!

No comments: