Sunday, February 6, 2011

Half-marathon training week 3

I can sum up my training this week in two words: epic fail. I only ran once this week. Once. That's it. Looking back on my week and then having a talk with my mom I now realize several reasons for why this happened and several places I need to make some changes.

Monday 1/31/11:
I didn't run this night because I had waited until the night before to write a six page paper I had due on Tuesday. My plan was to get the paper done by a certain time and do some cardio on the Wii but that definitely did not happen. I finished my paper at 11 and crashed hard.

Wednesday 2/2/11:
I had an INCREDIBLE run this night. I did four miles in 1:05, my best time yet! I think I've discovered the secret to getting a pre-run energy boost: smoothies! I had stopped for a smoothie on the way home because I needed a pick me up and didn't want caffeine so I opted for a healthier choice and had a smoothie instead. That gave me energy like no other and not only did I have my best time yet, but I pushed myself a bit harder which was so fun. I think people thought Denise and I were crazy because as soon as I hit that four mile mark and realized I had cut my time down I hit the stop button and started cheering. I needed a good run to make up for some tough runs I've had lately.

Sunday: 2/6/11:
I had eight miles scheduled for yesterday or today and didn't do them. I spent all day yesterday studying before hosting an Arbonne party and then today I went to my cousin's dance recital and spent the day with my family before chaperoning our youth Super Bowl party. The party also meant I ate like crap because I caught myself snacking on all the junk the kids and youth leader had brought and I hadn't had any water today, which also didn't help. I feel so bloated because I didn't eat anything good today and I'm just now drinking water.

The nightmares I've been having lately aren't helping my mental stability either. I'm at a point where tonight, the idea of turning out the lights terrifies me. I had a talk with my mom about them, especially my concerns over the fact that last night's nightmare was about having seizures and she said she thinks a lot of my problem right now is that I'm being way too hard on my body. The running she agrees is good for me but she told me that I need to continue watching what I eat and start getting rest. I've been staying up til all hours studying and then still getting up at 6:30 every morning for work. It's why I crash so hard and so long on the weekends. My body is trying to compensate for the damage I'm doing to it during the week. She told me that when I do finally fall asleep, I crash hard and my body is having trouble distiniguishing whether I'm having a nightmare or whether I'm awake. It's why I can't make myself wake up-I'm just so exhausted that my body simply can't make itself wake up and shake off the nightmares I've been having.

Starting Tuesday night (not tomorrow because I have a midterm Tuesday I plan to study for until at least 11), I'm going to start setting a cut off time for being on the phone, online, and even studying. I need to start getting some rest or I'm going to do some serious damage to my body with all the stress I already put it through when I run long distances. I'm not in college anymore and even though I'm only 26, my body just simply can't handle the late nights anymore. I need to start listening to it and taking care of myself.

I was also going to skip my run tomorrow night since Denise and I run at 9 but I think what I'm going to do is since I typically get off early on Mondays since my class is so low, I'm just going to use that extra little bit of time right after work and head to the gym. I only have to do three miles tomorrow so I can easily get to the gym by 5:30, do my three mile run, and still be home by 7 at the latest after I stretch. That gives me until at least midnight to study and if I don't know the material by then, then I don't know it.

So what have I learned this week even though I only ran one day?? I need to start listening to my body and sleeping when I'm tired at night and keeping myself on a schedule so I don't throw everything off wack. I've also learned that smoothies give me an energy boost before a run so who needs caffeine right?? I think the best thing I came to realize this week is that I'm getting faster and stronger and I will finish this half in May!!

No comments: