Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Half marathon training week 5

This winter has proven to be a trying experience for my half marathon training. I feel as if I've been sick all winter long which is really bringing my training to a halt. Last week was another week where I only got one run in because I got sick on Wednesday and have been sick ever since.

My goal for my long run last week was nine miles in preparation for the Heart Mini Marathon, followed by another nine mile run this coming weekend before scaling back to start conserving energy for the race. Since that hasn't happened, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should call off my 15k and just focus on finishing my training for the half. I honestly don't know if my body will be ready for a 9.3 mile race in three and a half weeks. I want it, badly, even if it means walking it, but I just don't know if I'm going to be ready.

This has been the sickest I've been in what seems like years. I don't know why that is, but it's really screwing with my training. Denise keeps reassuring me I'm fine and I have plenty of time but when I take more than one night off of running, my mental battles flare up and then I just get discouraged. Part of me is so ready to throw in the towel but I feel like I've come too far for that.

I know that part of my training is admitting what I'm capable of at the moment so right now I need to decide if I'm ready for a 15k or if I should just back off and keep focusing on the big goal of 13.1 miles in May. Decisions, decisions. I just need to keep myself from getting discouraged so hopefully getting back to the gym this weekend will help. I sure hope so.

No comments: