Sunday, February 13, 2011

Half marathon training week 4

Well, if I thought last week's training was an epic fail, then this week definitely surpasses it. I didn't run at all this week and I'm still trying to figure out where things went wrong and why I didn't end up running.

I had a breakdown before church this morning to Denise who quickly assured me that I was fine and that maybe we just needed to reassess my training plan. She reminded me that my running is something I'm doing for me and that it should be fun and not stressful. If I stress over it, I'm just going to end up mentally setting back my own training so I need to figure out what is going to work best for me and then go from there.

After much discussion this morning, I am contemplating changing my next race from a 15k down to a 10k. I'm just at a point right now where I don't know for sure that I can pull out 9.3 miles in a few weeks. I know I can handle 6.2 (a 10k) and that running a 10k instead of a 15k is NOT a setback in my training. There is NO reason that I can't still finish the half in May if I choose to run a 10k instead of a 15k. It's just being realistic about my abilities at the moment instead of trying to put my body through something it's just simply not ready for.

I knew coming into this that training for the half wasn't going to be easy but I never expected there to be so many barriers that popped up. However, I am still certain I want to do this and plan to keep pushing through until I cross that finish line in May. I still want this...badly...and I'm willing to work through those barriers that pop up from time to time.

I know I say it in every entry I write, but I truly, honestly COULD NOT do this without Denise. She is my rock and my encouragement and without her I would fall apart. Oh and we can't forget her amazing husband Jon too who is pushing both of us and cheering both of us on as we both work towards our goal of the Pig in May! He is our biggest cheerleader and I know I for one love the encouragement he provides us with and how he cheers us on during some of the tougher moments of training.

Yes, it wasn't the best of weeks training wise but tomorrow starts a new day and a new chance to get back on track and keep working towards my goal. I CAN and WILL finish this half in May!

And now, just for an additional bit of encouragement, a reminder of the day I decided to run the half and the excitement of watching Denise finish her first full marathon! This is my inspiration to keep going!


No comments: