Saturday, December 20, 2008

Internet dating

This blog is going to be completely random and out of nowhere, but it's something that comes to mind a lot, especially with all of the ads on facebook and my other blogging sites.

Does anyone besides me pay attention to the fact that there are a lot of internet dating site ads on facebook? On my particular facebook, I seem to get Christian related ones and (I can't believe I'm about to admit this) tonight out of curiosity I clicked on one. My mom and stepdad met on the internet, but through a divorce support chat room so I've always been curious about internet dating and am vocal about supporting it even as others shoot it down.

So anyway, I was purusing this one particular website tonight and stumbled across the profile of a very attractive (in my opinion) man who just recently graduated from a local college and is going back to school in Jaunary for a masters in counseling. Since he listed his first name and where he had attended college at, it wasn't hard to track him down on facebook and his facebook profile just happened to be public so out of curiosity (I swear I'm not a stalker!) I was looking at it and couldn't help but be intrigued by his interests and his professional goals. We also happened to have a couple of friends in common as well.

That's where I stopped. I contemplated sending him a facebook message because though I created a free profile on this particular site, I didn't want to have to pay to communicate through there. However, I didn't want it to seem creepy that I was contacting him through facebook after seeing his profile on this dating website.

I'm not opposed to meeting my future spouse through the internet and I'm not saying that this guy is even remotely "the one" but I was curious about others opinions on internet dating and these dating websites and what not. I won't lie and say I'm not intrigued by this guy because I am, but really, how weird is it to connect through dating sites and facebook?

(Now that I've written all this, I'll probably come back later and delete it just because I can't believe I'm even baring my heart like this!)

5 comments:

megzie said...

i think it's a neat idea. if i wasn't so chicken and damn picky i'd do it myself. and brittany's parents offer to get her a year sub. to eharomy for christmas. LOL

Melanie said...

Came across your blog.... I don't think it would have been for me back in the day. I have met people that swear by it. I would pray and ask the Lord....

Meg said...

My dad and soon to be step-mom met through a dating website. He also dated several others he met that way. A former college roommate met her husband that way as well. In this day and age there's nothing wrong with it. Follow your heart. Worst case is you end up with a new friend or two and not a future husband.

The KS Perrys said...

I know of at least 3 couples that have met on the internet. With having limited social circles, why not expand on your chances of meeting 'the one' or just a great new friend?

Nicole Bonomini said...

I know a lot of people who have done it, too - my mom met the guy she is currently dating that way. It's more common than you would think!