Friday, May 21, 2010

Athens!

Last weekend I went to Athens to celebrate Vince's birthday a week early since I knew I had Savannah's birthday party and a baby-sitting job this weekend. It was the first time in a year I've been to Athens and spending the weekend on campus makes me realize how big of a spot there still is in my heart for Athens and OU and how much I truly do miss it. I know I'm meant to be in Cincinnati for now but it doesn't mean that OU won't always hold a big spot in my heart.

Friday night the original plan was to go out for ice cream and just hang out and instead I ended up going out with the boys to a local bar where I proceeded to have a little too much to drink. What started as me having one drink turned into two drinks and two shots later. I was pretty funny that night and kept asking Mike and Vince if the room was spinning. lol It took me about two hours and about four bottles of water before I sobered up and could drive back to my hotel where I was staying off campus.

That night was the first time ever I've been drunk and it surprisingly wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't have a hangover on Saturday and in fact, I got up and went for a run Saturday morning. It's sad that I was gone after two drinks and two shots but that's okay. I'm not usually much of a drinker but this quarter has kicked my butt and it felt good to let go and enjoy myself for one night. Had I not sobered up I would have stayed in the dorms with Vince but typically I bounce back pretty quickly after I drink.

I also apparently drunk text a couple of people, along with calling Denise and Mike from Denver. I don't remember much of that but it's okay. It makes for a fun story. haha

Saturday I went for a run and then Vince and I just hung out on campus. We had lunch from Bagel Street Deli and sat out on College Green and just talked while eating. We eventually wandered the International Street Fair and then headed back to the dorms where he did laundry and we did a couple hours worth of homework before I took him to Ruby Tuesday for dinner for his birthday.

After dinner we dropped my book bag and stuff off at my hotel room and just laid on my bed and talked about everything from politics to religion to abortion. It was nice to be able to have a conversation like the one we had where I didn't have to hold back what I thought because I was afraid of someone jumping down my throat and telling me I was wrong for what I thought and believed in.

We went to Wal-mart and goofed off for a bit before getting the movie Daybreakers from Red Box, which was the worst two hours of my life. I don't recommend it at all! After the movie was over we went for a night walk around campus and ended up at Emeriti Park, which was my favorite place to go on campus to think and do homework. It never fails that I choose somewhere near water to do my best thinking since I do that here at home too. haha

Sunday I had brunch at the Coffee Cup with my old resident director and boss Cathy which was so fun. It was so great to be able to catch up and talk about old times and what we've been up to since I worked for her. I jokingly told her I used to be afraid of her when I worked for her (which was partly true!) but have since come to appreciate her. I have never had a boss as amazing as her and I miss working for her. It's so great to know that she ended up being a friend as well as a boss.

After brunch Vince and I went shopping so I could get some new OU t-shirts and then we went back to Emeriti Park so I could get some daytime pictures. We wandered back up to College Green where I knew it was getting close to the time for me to leave. The hardest part of visiting Athens for me is always leaving. So much of my heart is still there and it makes me wish that I hadn't wished away so much of my college years. I never knew how much Athens and OU would end up impacting me and how it would leave such a big hole in my heart that could never be filled. I love my program at UC, but UC will never be OU. Never. My four and a half years at OU were some of the best of my life and I will forever cherish those memories.

It was a much needed and relaxing weekend. I hadn't felt that good since getting home from Denver and now I'm counting down the days to my Florida vacation. I feel like this has been the longest and hardest quarter of my life and I can't wait to be able to breathe again.

I now leave you with pictures!


Mike and I at Red Brick!

Vince and I at Red Brick!

Mike and I hanging out in Bromley! :-)

Emeriti Park...by far my favorite place at OU

Vince and I at Emeriti Park :-)

No comments: