Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It's strep

After my internship yesterday I went to one of those Walgreens take care clinics because I can only use my student health insurance on campus and knew I wouldn't make it there in time so it was cheaper to go to Walgreens instead of urgent care.

The lady took one look at my throat and said from the looks of my tonsils she knew without a doubt it was strep. She swabbed me and set the timer for five minutes but it didn't even take the full five minutes for the test to turn positive.

I have never, ever had strep. Never. She gave me a presciption for penicillin (which was free at Meijer!) and some lanicane rinse to help with the pain. By the time I had left the clinic, my energy level was gone and I was finally starting to feel sick.

I went to Meijer to have my prescriptions filled and bought things like soup, popsicles, and ice cream that would feel good on my throat. However, I ended up not eating last night. I came home, put on pajamas, took the first dose of penicillin and passed out on the couch until ten. When I woke up, I took the second dose and went to bed where I proceeded to pretty much sleep until 2:30 this afternoon.

I woke up a couple times throughout the night and finally took some tylenol at about four this morning. I had gone to bed with a 102 degree fever and the tylenol helped to break it so I slept comfortably for the rest of the night.

I couldn't believe it when I woke up at the clock said 2:30. I still feel exhausted so hopefully that will help me to sleep tonight because I have to go back to work tomorrow. I have a note from the clinic excusing me from work tomorrow if I need it but I can't afford to take tomorrow off. Really, I'll be playing it by ear and seeing how I feel later tonight before I decide what to do.

Alright, I'm off to try and eat and get some homework done.

No comments: