Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lunch time blogging

Today has been a moderate day at my internship. The morning was so slow that for the first two hours I did homework and research, which is nice for me because it means I have more time for coffee with Tym after class tonight since my homework is already done! The morning picked up around 10 and I've been going ever since. I met with two individual students and then my junior high transition group. I just finished lunch but the kids are all at lunch til 1 so I have the next 45 minutes to twiddle my thumbs to meet with my next student.

This weekend was so fun. I left for Youngstown on Friday right after work. I was afraid I was going to end up driving in rain because there were massive storms moving in but I actually beat the system by 10 minutes. About two hours out from town, it started lightning and it picked up in intensity as I drove. I lucked out and made it before the brunt of the storm moved in, which was good because hail and tornado warnings had come with it so I was glad I didn't get caught driving in it.

Saturday was Diana's bridal shower. I still can't believe she's getting married in like six weeks! I'm thinking about cutting my family vacation short by two days so I can make it back to Youngstown for her wedding. She and I have been friends for 18 years (who can say that at our young ages?!?) and it would devestate me if she couldn't come to my wedding someday so I really want to try and make it to hers.

The shower was beautiful. I didn't know anyone but her mom inroduced me to some people from her church and I ended up having people to talk to. We played some games and ate great food (the cake was the best!) and of course I took pictures which are on facebook.

After the shower I headed over to visit my aunt and uncle and spent three hours there. Who happened to call while I was there? Oh my dad did. Luckily they were smart and didn't answer. Had they done so, I would have walked out. I haven't had contact with the man in years and don't intend to start anytime soon. Actually, I did find out while I was over their house that he conveniently had been in Colorado the same time that I had been for spring break. Coincidence? I think not! He has no family in Colorado and had no reason to go out there. I asked Mike about it last night to see if they had known and he said that my aunt had told him it had something to do with work but that the story didn't sound right, which in her world usually means she's making it up so part of me almost thinks he was ou there to try and find me but that's an entry for another day. Ask me if you really want to know.

Saturday night we had girls night out. Lauren, Denise, and I went to dinner at O'Charley's and then met up with Monica to go bowling, which was fun. Monica helped me to discover the wonders of Lee Dewyze from American Idol and we just had fun laughing and goofing off. We ended the night with food at Bdubs and caught up on each other's lives.

Saturday night made me realize how truly blessed I am with their friendships. Denise and I of course have been best friends since high school and Lauren and Monica are my college best friends. It doesn't matter how long it's been or how many miles separate us. We will always be the best of friends and will pick up right where we left off. I love those girls with my heart and soul and I am so lucky to be able to call them my friends.

Sunday I drove home early and got in around 1 to spend Mother's Day with my family. We went to my sister's for dinner and then I went shopping to get my mom her gift (nothing like waiting til the last minute!). Then I just hung out and relaxed in a bubble bath to start the week.

Last night I had a blast from the past. One of my old junior high friends from St. Matthias (who is actually three years younger than me) added me as a friend on facebook and then messaged me last night. We talked on IM for a bit and then our conversation got kind of extensive for IM's so we exchanged phone numbers and he ended up calling me while I was talking to Mike. After I ended my phone call with Mike, I called Kurt back and we talked for two and a half hours on the phone. We got disconnected around 2 and I text him and was like "I have to sleep!" so our conversation ended there.

How crazy though! I have not spoken to Kurt before last night since I left St. Matthias after 8th grade. It was so funny how the years just melted away. We never ran out of things to talk about and we had each other cracking up so much that he couldn't breathe and I had tears streaming down my face. It was so fun to reconnect with someone that I was friends with (though not even close friends-more like acquaintances!) back in junior high through facebook of all places. I think it was the funnest phone call I have had in forever and I actually can't wait for another one, this time on a weekend though!

This weekend I'm headed to Athens for the weekend to celebrate Vince's birthday which will be fun. I haven't been to Athens in a year so I can't wait to bask in the amazingness that is Ohio University and Athens. I love love love southeast Ohio in the spring and can't wait for long walks across campus and sitting in the Front Room on Saturday doing homework. Ahhhh I can't wait!

On that note, I am off to find something to occupy my time with until I can meet with my next student. It's only Tuesday but I already can't stop smiling which means it's going to be a great week!

No comments: